The Horticulture Research & Development Lead will assist the Managers of R&D and Plant Propagation in researching, sourcing, trialing and tracking of all new products to ensure that they meet company standards in terms of appearance, presentation and availability.
This position will be critical to enhancing the brand image of the company as a nationally recognized, trend-setting plant nursery offering one of the largest selections of rare and unusual annuals and perennials to be found anywhere. The Lead will liaise with propagation, production, and marketing to determine the timing and viability of all new product introductions. As part of this process, he/she/they will provide regular guidance on market trends for both retail and mail order. This position will also work closely with the Head Gardener, Marketing and other Managers to ensure that all new introductions are put into beds and photos are taken for catalog purposes and other marketing initiatives.
- Knowledge of California natives, cottage garden heirlooms, succulents and Mediterranean climate varieties from around the world.
- Degree in Horticulture and/or Botany preferred.
- Prefer at least 5 years experience sourcing seeds, plugs and unrooted cuttings within the US and internationally.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Process orientation: demonstrated ability to develop repeatable processes or improve existing processes in product development.
- Project management skills: will understand how to align resources, seek the input of key constituents, and manage others to achieve desired results.
- Open and collaborative style; must be comfortable working in an environment where ideas are shared and challenged.
- Energy and enthusiasm: must find the work "fun" and enjoy being accountable and willing to hold others accountable.
- Must currently live in the Bay Area or be willing to relocate. There is no relocation budget.
- Must be able to clearly communicate in English. Spanish speaker would be a great plus.
- Able to work legally in the United States
- Able to work well in a team environment and have a very positive attitude
- Researching and introducing new products in concert with customer needs, consumer trends, brand image and profitability goals.
- Providing timely direction on product eliminations with a consensus between propagation, production, and marketing.
- Coordinating the tracking of trial product performance and issues.
- Working with Propagation/Production to review schedules for cuttings, seeds,transplants, propagation.
- Providing guidance to mail order and retail operations if product offerings do not meet standards or weather conditions have a high likelihood of compromising standards (i.e. high heat conditions).
- Studying horticultural trends, visiting botanical gardens, researching seed and plug catalogs to identify, source and trial up to 50 new plant introductions annually.
- Working to improve propagation techniques for difficult species already in production.
- Researching trials for best germination and cuttings results.
- Researching and providing information on new plants for signwriters
- Researching and writing answers to customer questions over all networks (in tandem with others)
- Communicating regular reports on product performance and sourcing to managers and production team on a monthly basis.
- Collecting seeds for trials
- Cutting and processing trial plants
- Overseeing potting up of trials
- Entering Trial plants into all databases
- Notifying photographer when new plants are in bloom for photos
- Working with Marketing to provide information on approved trial plants
- Keeping documents up to date
- Sending approved trial info to Propagation Manager
- Keeping trial greenhouse maintained and clean
- Working with Propagation to choose which cuttings plants are ready to schedule
- Working with the Propagation coordinator to select which trials to approve or discontinue
- Job Type: Full-time
- Salary: Commensurate with Experience
- Benefits: Dental insurance • Employee discount • Health insurance • Paid time off • Company profit sharing retirement plan
- Schedule: Monday to Friday
- Supplemental Pay: Discretionary annual bonus
- Language: Bilingual English and Spanish helpful
- Work Location: Richmond CA. Work is on-site.
Please email in-line resume to [email protected]. Please include salary requirements. No phone calls, please.
Annie’s is seeking a personable and hard-working salesperson to add to our retail staff. We are interested in candidates with excellent communication skills who are highly service oriented and love to garden and learn! We strive to provide the highest standard of customer service to our gardening clientele.
Candidates should demonstrate a thirst for plant knowledge and will be expected to learn a great number of plant varieties as quickly as possible, as well as learn the plants in our demonstration gardens and mail order catalog. Candidates must be able to make proper recommendations to customers and answer questions efficiently and personably, in person and by phone.
- Two years previous retail experience, nursery experience preferred.
- Physical fitness – ability to lift 50lbs and work out of doors – rain or shine.
- Experience with POS and cash register procedures, including opening and closing.
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently in a busy outdoor environment.
- Must be available to work both weekend days (Saturday and Sunday), and be available for special events.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to multi-task, complete assignments and stay focused through interruptions of work flow.
- All applicants must have reliable transportation.
- Must be punctual.
- Knowledge of Annie’s plants is a plus.
Nursery work is strenuous and requires focus, dedication, and grace under fire. It is also fun and an opportunity to learn more about gardening and the fascinating array of plants we grow!
Full-time, part-time, and seasonal positions available. Compensation DOE. Please email in-line resume to [email protected]. Please include salary requirements. No phone calls, please.